Spawn makes it easy to automate disposable copies of databases for your DevOps pipelines and your development environment. It uses a command line interface to create and manage those copies, and to make scripting and automation simple.
If you're new to Spawn, we'd recommend following the steps below.
Download and install Spawn
- Download spawnctl
- Add the folder containing spawnctl to the path
Mac and Linux
- Run this
curl -sL https://run.spawn.cc/install | sh
- Add spawnctl to your path
On-board to Spawn
- Verify the CLI is installed by running
- Authenticate to the Spawn service
- Onboard to the Spawn service to create your account
Create a data container
Create a copy of the PostgreSQL Pagila demo database by running
spawnctl create data-container --image pagila:v11 --lifetime 1h
The service returns the connection details for the database. Use any database client to connect to the database as usual.